Re: Ideals meet Implementations - Blockchains, NFTs, Decentralization, Oh My!

I agree with much of what Adrian says, but there's one distinction between
VC as credential vs. VS as permission that he doesn't point out.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 7:49 PM Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
wrote:

> Mapping the role of VC issuer onto Principal Authority is therefore a
> delegation relationship with the VC subject as described in the Principal
> Authority post. The act of delegation is captured in a contract between the
> Issuer and the Subject often called enrollment or registration.
>

> The term delegation implies that the delegator is granting the delegatee
some property that the delegator has.  That implication is certainly true
for permissions;  a system in which you can delegate a permission you don't
have is clearly broken.  That's not always true for a credential VC.  For
example, you might work at the Department of Motor Vehicles in a job in
which you issue drivers' licenses even though you don't have one yourself.

Alan Karp