Re: Future-proofing VCs via multiple signatures

On 1/6/22 3:49 PM, Nikos Fotiou wrote:
> Since JWS supports multi signatures, can’t we claim that jwt encoded VCs
> (kind of) already support this feature?

As David mentioned, no we can't because the VC-JWT implementers chose a
single, detached signature approach:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#json-web-token

At present, it is not possible to do multiple signatures using the VC-JWT
approach. This may change in the VCWG 2.0 work if there are a group of people
that are willing to put in the work to take the approach that David mentioned.

I will note that even if that approach is taken, there will be challenges with
nested signatures (base64 bloat and multiply encapsulated base64 messages) and
chained signatures (same base64 bloat problem) with JWT.

I'm not saying some variation of multiple signatures isn't possible with
VC-JWT... just that it is not possible today.

It /is/ possible to do a JsonWebSignature2020 (which is a Data Integrity
cryptosuite) to do multiple signatures today.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/