Re: CBOR-LD for VC

On 2022-02-15 0:07, Jonny Crunch wrote:
> Correct!
>
>> No version of CBOR-LD ever had any relation to IPLD.
>

> CBOR-LD is not IPLD!   However, IPLD has been suggested as a general pattern for DID documents and Verifiable credentials:
>
> https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot7-toronto/blob/master/final-documents/ipld-did.pdf <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot7-toronto/blob/master/final-documents/ipld-did.pdf>
>
> CBOR-LD is distinctly different from IPLD!
>

> That said,  COSE-signed payloads for DID documents and VCs has been suggested for over 2 years (using tag 42):
>
> https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot10-buenosaires/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/ipld-cbor.md <https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rwot10-buenosaires/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/ipld-cbor.md>

FWIW, this is my opinion about COSE:

COSE was loosely derived from JOSE which in turn was based on the assumption that canonicalization is an altogether bad idea.  The IETF has so far rejected all "standard track" proposals for JSON canonicalization.  Been there, done that :( However, CBOR's deterministic serialization is not canonicalization since there is no translation of any kind of involved.

Deterministic serialization permits creating provably interoperable cryptographic constructs like enveloped signatures which are way nicer than JWTs and CWTs.

That CBOR (properly implemented NB), unlike JSON does not overload a singular Number type is IMO also a major advantage.

The ability keeping binary as binary is of course pretty useful as well.

Anders