Re: Authorized Issuer Lists

I agree with Joe on the principles but this thread bounces around different
practical concerns.

Broadly speaking, we’re concerned with the reputation of issuers rather
than subjects and we don’t want to compromise the privacy or human rights
of subjects in solving for the reputation of issuers.

Issuers have choices and privacy rights. They typically choose to publish
affiliation with a certifier (the Good Housekeeping seal) and the burden of
checking validity with the certifier rests with various parties.

The basis for certification itself could include traffic analysis of
subject-specific issue or verification events. In this case, the subject of
these events would be at risk of privacy or human rights compromise. The
human rights problem might be forced association with an auditor or
intermediary entity they did not choose.

Even when the subject gets to choose the intermediary (e.g. a notary) there
is a huge risk of privacy violation. For example, subjects (and issuers)
will choose the convenience of a platform oligopoly for certification over
the privacy of a decentralized reputation check. The mitigation for this
problem is to standardize the reputation audit and checking process so much
that the platform cannot offer a more convenient solution. This is very
very hard to do because issuers may also prefer the convenience of using a
platform and may even get a kickback from the (surveillance capitalism)
platform.

Adrian