Re: Mozilla Formally Objects to DID Core

Imagine being stuck with MD5 forever, because alternative hash functions
were considered a bad idea... or stuck with RSA 512 because adding more
public key crypto systems made interoperability harder...

Just because you can use all these registered algorithms:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/jose/jose.xhtml#web-signature-encryption-algorithms

does not mean you need to... but it's still helpful to register them...

It enables conversations like this:

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/100991/why-is-secp521r1-no-longer-supported-in-chrome-others

It's helpful to have a registry for things even if you just use it as a
"list of things we don't support"...

Another example:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-declined-to-implement-16-web-apis-in-safari-due-to-privacy-concerns/

Just because some folks want interoperable Web NFC does not mean Apple
needs to implement support for it...

Web standards undermine iOS and Apple's native app based development model
(which they charge developers to build on)...

Should Apple also attempt to prevent Web NFC from being a TR?

https://w3c.github.io/web-nfc/  <https://w3c.github.io/web-nfc/>

Chrome (Google and Microsoft) support it...
https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/web-nfc/

Google tends to make use of web standards, sometimes in ways that Apple
thinks undermine user privacy...

Should standards that are free "as in freedom" and "as in beer" be
prohibited if they are "paid for" in user data over time?

It's easy to argue that the standard would be better if it were just
`did+json` and `JWK`...

Microsoft advocated for that from the beginning, and ION does not support
none-JWK based Key representations...

ION also runs on Bitcoin... but did:web / did:key do not... and they also
support JWK...

It's somewhat ironic that Google and Apple think blockchain is somehow
incompatible with sustainability...

https://sustainability.google/progress/projects/traceability/

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple-Conflict-Minerals-Report.pdf

> Apple continued to participate in the RMI’s Blockchain working group,
helping to standardize data interoperability across
minerals blockchain solutions and to ensure data privacy. Apple believes
that minerals blockchain solutions should be
used as a tool to support—but not replace—supply chain due diligence...

Transmute has worked on this use case before...

https://twitter.com/TransmuteNews/status/1412839437986197504

OS