From: Tom Jones <thomasclinganjones@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 2, 2021 10:19 AM
To: Markus Sabadello <markus@danubetech.com>
Cc: Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Mozilla Formally Objects to DID Core

Flexibility on security is not a feature that I would brag about.

..tom

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 12:34 AM Markus Sabadello <markus@danubetech.com<mailto:markus@danubetech.com>> wrote:

I sympathize with Mozilla's comments about centralized methods and proof-of-work methods, and I believe these concerns could be addressed in the DID Rubric and DID Implementation Guide documents, without necessarily requiring changes to DID Core itself.

Mozilla's other comment about lack of interoperability is however hard to unterstand for me.

The whole point of DID methods is to ENABLE interoperability between heterogeneous identifier systems.

Some use cases will only use a single DID method and not be interoperable with others.
Some DID methods will become very popular and be widely interoperable across many different systems.
Some DID methods may become standardized (e.g. did:key, did:web) and therefore "effectively mandatory".
Some use cases will want to support as many DID methods as possible, even less popular ones.

This flexibility is a feature, not a bug.

Markus