RE: W3C Credentials CG Call Tues: mobile DL deck

This is a good real-world pressure test. The 12 principles elucidate the ideals that drive our thought process and work products, and provide a standard by which we judge ourselves. As stated in the introduction though it is not a compliance standard. As such it can be held as a contrast to other approaches, but shouldn’t *necessarily* be used to judge other approaches. As soon as we start saying yours is bad because it isn’t ours we’ve closed ourselves off to innovation, growth and potentially relevance. I’m totally open to arguments that non-alignment with Principle X makes external Project Y incompatible with our ideals, attention and work products but I would hope ‘lines in the sand’ positions would be few. I also believe ‘all or nothing’ stances are in general limiting.

From: Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com>
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2021 6:27 PM
To: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Cc: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>; Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>; Jim St.Clair <jim.stclair@lumedic.io>; dzagidulin@gmail.com
Subject: Re: W3C Credentials CG Call Tues: mobile DL deck

Agreed. I'd say the ISO mDL approach has issues with #3 and #8 as well.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 4:35 PM Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com <mailto:agropper@healthurl.com> > wrote:

Seems to me like ISO is in direct conflict with Principles #2 and #12.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 7:29 PM Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com <mailto:drummond.reed@evernym.com> > wrote:

The ToIP definition of "design principles" is "a proposition or value that informs, guides, and constrains the design of a product, service, or system". ToIP is almost finished with a set of design principles for the ToIP stack — we should be ready to talk about them at IIW — but in terms of SSI, the work done a year ago on the Principles of SSI <https://trustoverip.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/ToIP-Principles-of-SSI.pdf>  are what I had in mind.