Re: Cryptographically Enforceable Issuer Policies (forked

An authorization server evaluates requests based on policies and issues
tokens that can be used to access a credential or other resource.

The important distinction is who sets the policies. The issuer, subject,
and verifier all have policies and each has the opportunity to run an
authorization server.

In cases where control must be separate from possession (a stream) or
access (such as a letter of recommendation) encryption may be used in
addition to an authorization token.

Messaging protocols consider the request as out-of-band so they do not
involve an authorization server or policy.

None of this involves governance as long as every resource and
authorization server is self-sovereign, in the sense that they own and need
not share their polices.

Adrian