Re: VC-JWT perma-thread (was: Re: RDF Dataset Canonicalization - Formal Proof)

Yes, you must restrict JSON-LD to further resemble a static JSON format if
you use the received data as JSON.

The two most obvious are errors on unrecognized properties and errors if
the @context has custom values (you likely want to just ban anything other
than references to pre-cached documents). Implementors must adopt all of
these or they will likely have a system that falls into an existing
playbook of exploits.

Alternatively, you could operate solely on the canonicalized data, either:
1. Write your tools to operate on the RDF
2. Discard the received JSON, convert the RDF back into JSON-LD using a
static context, and do JSON-based processing on _that_

I personally try to avoid plaintext signed data because of the number of
instances I've seen of RDD (Regex-Driven Development). The easiest way to
validate an LD-Proof is to discard the proof :-)

-DW

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 10:43 AM Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
wrote:

> On 3/30/21 11:43 AM, Orie Steele wrote:
> > Overall I agree with a lot of David's comments.
> >
> > In particular, I have seen the following issues with LD Proofs:
> >
> > 1. silently dropping terms, instead of throwing an error. (allows an
> > attacker to inject certain terms are dropped).
> > 2. poor implementations loading contexts over the network (DNS
> > poisoning, latency attacks)
> > 3. @vocab and other language "features" making it hard to tell what you
> > are actually signing
> > 4. documentation / controller ship issues with vocab (same problem as
> > JOSE, things need to be registered and documented somewhere)
> >
> > 3) is easy to fix, @vocab should result in an error being thrown in any
> > security context. https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/issues/753
> >
> > Note that 3 applies to all VC formats, regardless of the proof /
> > signature format.
> >
> > 2) is very easy to fix, just pass a document loader that never makes
> > network requests to any software you want to never make network requests
> > and make sure the software still passes all its tests...
> >
> > 1.) is the most critical imo, different implementations handle this
> > issue differently.
> >
> > IMO the correct behavior is to throw when ANY undefined term is
> > detected, and halt immediately. Implementations that silently dropped
> > properties have created a massive security issue for us on this front...
> > and its related to canonicalization, essentially if your
> > canonicalization alg silently drops any information its a security
> > vulnerability... the default behavior of any such algorithm should be to
> > throw.
>
> +1, I agree and think we can address the issue by being strict in this
> manner. If you pass in some JSON-LD (or other LD format) to a
> sign/verify API and any terms are not defined, you'll get an error. This
> creates the security binding/boundaries that we want whilst still
> allowing us to enjoy benefits we get from canonicalization.
>

> > There is a kind of pseudo canonicalization that every digital signature
> > system relies on... and it's called a hash function. There are a number
> > of reasons that hash functions are used with digital signatures, and a
> > number of attacks that have results from poor choice of hash functions:
> >
> > -
> https://blog.torproject.org/md5-certificate-collision-attack-and-what-it-means-tor
> > -
> >
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/sha-1-collision-attacks-are-now-actually-practical-and-a-looming-danger/
> >
> > Yes, there are problems with complexity in the data that is hashed
> > before a signature is applied, but none as deadly as picking a poor hash
> > function.
> >
> > in JOSE, what is signed is "base64(json(header)).base64(json(payload))"
> >
> > in LD Proofs, what is signed is
> > "sha256(canonicalize(header))sha256(canonicalize(document)) "
> >
> > See https://docs.joinmastodon.org/spec/security for another
> explanation...

> [...]

computer. Thank you._