From: Jeremy Townson <jeremy.townson@gmail.com>
Sent: March 26, 2021 4:36 AM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: Steve Capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>; Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>; Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>; W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: The SSI protocols challenge [Was]: W3C DID Core 1.0 enters Candidate Recommendation stage

Michael,

I would subvert the use-case somewhat. Some thoughts on that:

Erin is clearly a goodie here -- young, attractive, a model citizen we are led to think, yet the solution as described puts administrative obstacles in her way, which seems contradictory. In most societies today, the right to buy a car hinges only on having money in the bank. Yes, one needs a licence to drive the car away, but that is a separate matter. The dealer will take care of other paperwork, with glee. This need for 'papers' reminds me of the mindset in France. That mindset grew, probably for good reason, from the occupation and is one that younger French are now shaking off.

If Erin is to be a goodie then, I wonder if it's possible to find something genuinely difficult in peoples' lives, which credentials can help with? Buying a car is not difficult and, though people love cars, they agree the world has too many of them already.

More generally, in a capitalist/consumerist society, the idea of aiming credentials at, of all things, buying things, seems to be a non-starter.

Credentials seem more about control and limiting of freedoms. Hopefully this is for some global good, in a time where individual responsibilities are increasing.

My recommendation would make Erin a badie. Maybe it is a not-too-distant, carbon neutral future and Erin is rich, the owner of a fleet of muscle cars and hungry for more? Perhaps credentials make this harder, allowing policy makers to achieve their internationally agreed targets and justifying the sacrifices made by other citizens?

I love the way Mad Max captures the tendency of people to consume ostentatiously that which is scarce. Perhaps the credentials use-cases should be less about easing consumption -- a use-case which we can safely agree has been perfected -- and more about tackling our rogue mindset?

Congratulations on producing a document which keeps up with the discussion.

Regards,
Jeremy