Re: The "self-sovereign" problem (was: The SSI protocols challenge)

I have been following this discussion with interest.  I disagree that
(paraphrasing Michael) only the register is decentralised and (quoting
Leonard) VC and DID are *NOT* decentralized.  Here are some points of
decentralisation which are inherent to VCs.

- the issuer may delegate data processing and production to one or more
entities
- ownership privilege belongs to the identity owner and not the issuer
(which 'breaks the silo')
- identity owners have autonomy over what VCs they share and with whom
they are shared
- verification services can be created and operate independently of issuers
- relying parties can verify a VC without reference to the issuer (and
without being tracked)

In brief - _VC production, usage and verification are all decentralised_
regardless of whether a blockchain anchor is used to assure
immutability.  I would add that VC storage is separate from a blockchain
registry, and that storage can also be decentralised using IPFS or
similar architectures.

Regards, Bill Claxton (williamc@nextid.com <mailto:williamc@nextid.com>)
LinkedIn, Facebook, Telegram, Slack, Skype, Twitter or Gmail: wmclaxton
SG Voice, Text or Whatsapp: +65-9012-4327
US Voice, Text or Voicemail: +1-415-797-7348