Re: The "self-sovereign" problem (was: The SSI protocols challenge)

I will throw this definition into the arena (from The Comprehensive Guide
to SSI, released in 2018!) with several caveats:
- This was the first report then converted into a book written/released
about SSI. It's practically free now
<https://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Guide-Self-Sovereign-Identity-ebook/dp/B07Q3TXLDP/>.
Did I mention it's from 2018?
- It was primarily written by myself & Kaliya Young, and we had it
technically reviewed by Kim Hamilton Duffy and Marcus Sabadello. Others
contributed & reviewed.
- It was written as an introduction to non-insiders to this space, the
audience was/is not this community.
- While technology was included, it was not privileged in order to
understand the broader possibilities.
- Of course parts are outdated, and equally, parts are still relevant.
- It built upon the work of many people in this space, who have deep
technical expertise.
- I'd like to remind everyone of the unconscious bias in tech communities,
which tends to marginalize non-other perspectives.

This community has lamented that our work is not accessible to outsiders,
yet little work has been done to make it so and practically no funding has
been offered - even by the largest organizations who have the most to gain
- to create it. The comprehensive guide to SSI was 100% self funded and
bootstrapped by the principles.

With those caveats, and also remember this was my baby, so I have strong
protective tendencies toward it, I'll share the description we used in it.
Your understanding may vary.

[image: whatisSSI_ComprehensiveGuide2SSI.png]

--
Heather Vescent <http://www.heathervescent.com/>
Co-Chair, Credentials Community Group @W3C

@heathervescent <https://twitter.com/heathervescent> | Film Futures