Re: The SSI protocols challenge [Was]: W3C DID Core 1.0 enters Candidate Recommendation stage

Inline.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 2:42 AM David Chadwick <D.W.Chadwick@kent.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi Drummond
>
> thankyou for the clarification. We could also state that the converse is
> also true
>
> a. An SSI system shall not require reliance on a blockchain or other DLT
>
> but of course it may include them.
>
> Note that the W3C VC Data Model already states that VCs do not depend on
> DIDs and DIDs do not depend on verifiable credentials, so we do not need to
> include that in your principles.
>
> However, can you tell me how principle 11
>
> *An SSI ecosystem shall empower identity rights holders to protect the
> privacy of their digital identity data and to share the minimum digital
> identity data required for any particular interaction.*
>
> can be supported by long lived VCs that have a persistent DID for the
> subject ID, when this is a correlating handle that does the opposite of
> protecting the privacy of the data subject

David, I fully agree with you, which is why privacy-preserving VCs should
not be issued to persistent DIDs. They should be issued to blinded link
secrets using zero-knowledge proofs. This way you not only avoid identifier
correlation, you avoid signature correlation.

Of course neither can prevent correlation in the verifier requires that the
holder reveal a correlating identifier, such as a government ID number, but
at least that is *intentional* and *explicit* correlation, not
unintentional implicit correlation using the underly VC mechanics.

=Drummond