Re: Some (negative) thoughts about did:key and multicodec.

Hi Manu, all,

> So, all that to say, I'm not sure we'd end up in a different place if we went
> the CoAP/CBOR unsigned integer encoding route. It's just a different way of doing
> byte encoding that ends up not really resulting in anything different.

That's an interesting thought exercise. What you really want here is just to represent the entry of a "codec" in a "codec table" that is used "only for common things". IMHO if you plan to have such a codec table that includes more than 2^16 entries (2 bytes) then you real problem is the table itself :) The use of varint (or of any other encoding) for this case, at least to me, is the perfect example of "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Best,
Nikos

--
Nikos Fotiou - http://pages.cs.aueb.gr/~fotiou
Researcher - Mobile Multimedia Laboratory