Re: HTTP-Signatures - was: Roadmap: Verifiable Trust Standards

> On 8 Mar 2021, at 17:08, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/8/21 10:45 AM, Henry Story wrote:
>> I noticed in your slides a row for HTTP Signatures. Where is the work on
>> the authentication part of draft-cavage-* now going on?
>
> Hi Henry, good to hear from you! :)
>
> The work has been adopted by the IETF HTTP WG as an extension specification to
> HTTP and is now on the IETF standards track:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-message-signatures/
>
> Latest is here:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-message-signatures-01
>
> Issue tracker is here:
>
> https://github.com/httpwg/http-extensions/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Asignatures

Yes, those are the specs for signing messages on which I am building :-)

>> So for example I just noticed that the old spec had Signature
>> Authentication method in the header but I used ”HttpSig”. Where can I go to
>> work out what the right thing to do is?
>
> The links above should get you engaged with the right WG. I will note that
> there have been breaking changes since entering the HTTP WG, so don't assume
> that it works like it had for the past 8+ years. They're trying hard to align
> it with current best practices for HTTP (e.g., using structured header syntax).
>
> HTTP Signatures are used heavily for Authorization Capabilities (zcaps) and in
> the Encrypted Data Vault work. So yes, lots of overlap w/ Solid and Solid-like
> projects.

You mean this document?
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/zcap-ld/

I could not find any reference there to Signing Http Messages, or to
draft-cavage-* . So perhaps an associated doc?

Indeed I want to integrate zcap-ld authorization capabilities with Solid too.
I started thinking about that in an issue recently "Authorization Capabilities for Linked Data"

https://github.com/solid/authorization-panel/issues/160#issuecomment-764722858

I need to work on it some more but I think on first consideration using Martin
Abadi’s logic of Saying-That, the difference between capability systems and ACLs
are not as far apart as people have been making them to be.

For example I think one can extend the plain ACL ontology with a :controls relation
and a form of N3 type contextual reasoning to get the desired effect
https://github.com/solid/authorization-panel/issues/160#issuecomment-765961645

This also ties in with `Authorization: HttpSig` extension to
Signing HTTP messages. And that is where I was wondering: should we
use `Authorization: Signature` instead as in the old specs?

I am collecting a few questions along those lines here:

https://github.com/solid/authentication-panel/labels/HttpSig

I don’t think the IETF is going to be the place to work on that since
they left out that part.

Henry