Re: [sds-wg] Reminder and Agenda for Confidential Storage Spec Call - Feb 25 2021

On 3/2/21 10:37 PM, Chris Were wrote:
> Sure, I'm happy to make a first pass on this. Any thoughts on the best
> format / structure?

Great! Thanks Chris.

I suggest Google Docs to start -- that'll help everyone collaborate using
tooling most everyone is used to and provide feedback.

The structure is up to you, of course. I would suggest that you try listing
all the features of EDVs and how CouchDB maps to those features. You might
also want to take the opportunity to highlight the features that you feel are
important.

> To clarify, I'm not arguing we don't need a standard. To work with the same
> analogy -- if we're building an SQL standard we should be looking very
> closely at MariaDB (and other prior art / SQL-like implementations) when
> developing that standard.

Yes, agreed. :)

> The point of meeting 80% of use cases is important, but there's some
> subtlety in that. Is it 80% of the "total use cases" or 80% of the "most
> important use cases" -- those are two very different things. And are we
> dropping use cases because they're "too hard with the current spec
> implementation" or because "they're not that important"?

That's an excellent question. I expect it's mostly the latter, but it may be
coming across as the former.

Typically, when groups can't agree, they inject optionality into the
specification... which exchanges the short term problem of agreeing on one
solution with the longer term problem of interop challenges. That said,
extensible specifications tend to last longer than rigid ones. It's a
trade-off, like many other engineering decisions. :)

In any case, sounds like there is alignment on the next step (and the general
philosophy), which is good. :)

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches