Re: Linked Data Security (slide deck)

On 2/28/21 6:50 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> The ETSI/ESI committee just had a meeting last week to discuss how
> technology such as VC, LD Proofs, and non-X.509-based certificates align
> (or not) with the current EU standards for Trust and Signatures. The
> result is that most likely one or more new work items will be created to
> study and/or start definition on some of these areas.

Very interesting, and great news. :)

> It is important that alignment with international laws be a key requirement
> for our standards development - because if not, then adoption won't
> happen.

+1 -- alignment with international and local laws are critical.

> One thing that I think you call out - or at least that I take as a callout
> - from your deck is that Linked Data Security *MUST* be separated from
> this CG (as well as DID's, DLTs, etc.) and brought to standardization as a
> core set of capabilities that serve many use cases.

Yes, agreed.

> I, for one, have already starting using the Multibase/Multihash and
> HashLink work in areas around Content Authenticity, and I am looking toward
> helping the work of CBOR-LD as well.

Great to hear... interest in CBOR-LD is building... namely for use in QRCodes
and other constrained data environments.

> With those building blocks in place, followed by the LD Sig and LD Proof
> work, and the various cryptosuites we will have some powerful tools that
> can applied in various & varied solutions.

+1

> As always, whatever I can to do help get new CG/WGs off the ground to work
> on these various aspects - count me in!

Thank you -- we'd love to have Adobe's support when the Working Group Charter
vote is put forward to the W3C Advisory Committee -- as Ivan mentioned, we're
working on it... look for something (hopefully) in a few months.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches