Re: California Digital Vaccine Record based on VCs

Hello all,

This EFF article
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/06/decoding-californias-new-digital-vaccine-records-and-potential-dangers>
explains the California digital vaccination card in terms a layman can
understand.

Singapore's HealthPass is based on the same Verifiable Credentials and
FHIR data, but personal data is not in the QR and the VC document itself
is anchored to a blockchain.  It seems to me that Singapore's HealthCert
is lightweight, tamperproof and much better than California's system.

The Vaccine Credential Initiative (promoting Common Pass) and IATA
(promoting Travel Pass) have made it seem that a wallet and a digital
identity are required in order have a viable border health clearance
mechanism based on Verifiable Credentials. That is certainly not the case.

I was interviewed by a Singapore radio station this week on the topic of
'vaccine passports' (a misnomer) and they kept reiterating questions
about what's holding up the adoption of digital identity.  I had to
explain that, while digital identity does enable selective sharing with
greater privacy, health clearances for travel do not require travellers
to adopt a digital identity.  Authorities will continue to check the
traveller's passport, visas and other identity documents at border
checkpoints.

Perhaps, as the EFF article states, the real purpose of the California
digital vaccination card is to screen folks entering restaurants, gyms
and other establishments serving the public.  In Singapore we have a
different (and centralised) system for that, known as SafeEntry.  It is
electronically tied to the Ministry of Health database.

Regards, Bill Claxton (williamc@nextid.com <mailto:williamc@nextid.com>)
LinkedIn, Facebook, Telegram, Slack, Skype, Twitter or Gmail: wmclaxton
SG Voice, Text or Whatsapp: +65-9012-4327
US Voice, Text or Voicemail: +1-415-797-7348