Re: California Digital Vaccine Record based on VCs

Well the are sort of VCs.
But if you talk with Manu he can explain that despite being
developed primarily by Josh Mandel at MSFT - its not even conformant with
the Identity side of MSFT's version of JSON-JWTs.

The other big issue with their format and modality is that they are coming
from Health Care IT  - where they move around patient records between
HIPAA protected entities. They are used to sharing a lot of data with
entities about people and literally never worrying about privacy issue
related to how much data is disclosed or even considering how you might
empower citizens to withhold some information - with all the work we have
done on Selective Disclosure capabilities - they were not interested in at
all.

They format is also QR code oriented and QR codes that are signed and
shared are "the document" - the Verifiable Credential - rather then a proof
of position as we have worked so hard on with the VErifiable Presentation
format that proves you own the thing - but doesn't give the actual thing to
the verifier.

If you want to entertain yourself reading through closed issues where folks
in our communities raised issues with VCI - I recommend it.
https://github.com/smart-on-fhir/health-cards/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed

Based on feedback and a write up by John Jordan submitted into the Good
Health Pass working group at ToIP I began a document "The Dangers of Using
QR Codes for Data About People"

I'll share a link - its not complete but the meet of the article is there
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o7vXiQyp8j92_Q5wVT3gXCH_reXIhJvbsljNuu95TBY/edit?usp=sharing