Re: Understanding @contexts and credentialSchemas

> Would you be willing to define "data shape" in a sentence or two?

What I meant was a set of constraints on the data and potentially its
representation as well.

For JSON Schema, that will only help you with the JSON representation...
not the information content... knowing that a person is an "type: object"
doesn't help you realize that they don't have horn's normally.

Whereas SHACL for JSON-LD can tell you about the constraints on the
information, not just a given serialization of it, like JSON-LD or RDF....
regardless of how the information was serialized, "Person type does not
have horns".

When doing validation, you might check to see if something is parseable,
but you also might check to see if it "matches a known type" or "is
isomorphic to a canonical form", or is "in canonical form", or is
recognized by a regular expression or context free grammar.

I see the "credentialSchema" attribute of the VC Data Model as a place to
put stronger security constraints on the VC Data, than "is this parseable
JSON(-LD)".

Certainly, if you are sticking just to JSON, there is some value in
describing the schema / shape of the data, next to the data itself... here
is another example:

https://docs.snowplowanalytics.com/docs/pipeline-components-and-applications/iglu/common-architecture/self-describing-jsons/

You can consider an issuer signing over a credentialSchema to be a
commitment to a particular data shape, and depending on the technology they
used for that, it could help you validate the representation, or help you
validate the information, or both.

I believe "credentialSchema" was also used in ZKP-CL to provide some
additional proofing capabilities, in other words, the constraints on the
data were used not just to verify / validate, but to help generate
proofs...such as range proofs and predicates... we might expect it to be
used similarly by SNARKS / STARKS / BulletProofs in the future.... or the
approach taken with BBS+ might encode those requirements directly into the
proof without the need for an extra field.

OS