Re: Attempting to block work (was: Re: VC HTTP Authorization Conversation)

Adrian,

Nobody is asking you to leave the group. Your perspective is valuable, both from your domain expertise and the particular points you are willing to fight for. As a fellow privacy advocate, I appreciate that you and I share many of the same goals in the end-result.

What people are suggesting is that affirmative statements of an intention to block the work will be seen as they are: non-collaborative belligerence.

The work we are faced with, right now, in this VC-HTTP-API effort is to distill just the right subset of the problem that we, as a community, can get consensus and closure on as a viable solution before we lose the momentum of collaboration.

That means limiting our use cases just as much as defining them.
That means deferring non-blocking work to later stages so we can advance the critical path items and move ahead.
That means accepting that we can't solve all the things at once.

It's this latter one that seems to be tripping you up. We simply can't adopt all of the potential future standards we want to support and put them in *THIS* spec. This isn't a political or even a technical problem. It's a logical one.

We can't embed standards that don't exist yet.

What we *can* do is incorporate the work of peer standards--to the extent that it helps advance our own work--as we go. And I believe everyone who has made a comment on that issue has embraced that approach (correct me if I'm wrong). This is the approach this community has followed, with great success with both VCs and DIDs, as we appropriately separated boundaries of concern so things like ZKPs and non-ledger DIDs could still be part of the architecture even while those approaches are still being standardized.

In other words, I think we have a good track record here for being responsive to the kinds of concerns you have, just not in the way that you are requesting.

I'm hoping you can agree that
(1) we can't adopt GNAP today because it isn't yet a standard (it will change through the standardization process and potentially in ways that would break what implementers here need).
(2) once GNAP is a standard is has a good chance of playing a powerful role in this ecosystem, again, depending on its final standardized result (I believe many share this hope).
(3) what we can do is bring in GNAP experts to advise on how best to align VC-HTTP-API work to maximize future interoperability with GNAP, and hope that as good faith operators, those same parties will take the conversations in the VC-HTTP-API work back to GNAP to influence that standard.

To my view, we are pursuing #3 in good faith with the right participants. GNAP is about as strong of a contributor as a non-standard could expect to be at this stage.

Unless I misunderstood what you were going for... Are you actually arguing for waiting for GNAP to be complete to continue the VC-HTTP-API work?

-j

--
Joe Andrieu, PMP                                                                              joe@legreq.com
LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS                                                        +1(805)705-8651