Re: VC HTTP Authorization Conversation

> Is the *scope* of the VC-HTTP group the right place to have this
discussion?

I think it is not.

I see the scope of the VC-HTTP-API as limited to the following:

1. HTTP endpoints for producing and consuming the W3C VC Data Model Objects
2. HTTP endpoints for producing and consuming extensions to the VC Data
Model, or data structures it relies on, like Revocation Status and
Credential Schemas
3. Recommendations for securing these HTTP endpoints using HTTP Headers.
4. Recommendations for exposing these HTTP endpoints inside and
across trust domains.

No part of my proposal above precludes GNAP from being used to get an
authorization token for these APIs, but I think it's a giant waste of time
(for this WG) talk about all the ways a JWT access token can be obtained,
when we only need to recommend 1 starting point, and acknowledge that HTTP
headers can and are used to transport tokens obtained in various other ways.

Perhaps it would be better to start a CCG work item dedicated to GNAP and
VCs?

Or a battle royal between OAuth2.0 the only "real" standard being discussed
and the drafts for GNAP, OIDF-SIOP, ZCaps with HTTP Signatures and DIDComm
hosted by the ccg?

I don't want to shut down all the excitement about how to replace OAuth 2.0
and fix its many flaws... I just don't want to talk about that every call
for this work item.

I suppose we could also solve this by forbidding the vc-http-api from
discussing authorization, and handle that in other work groups / work items
that want to secure http endpoints that exist today.

IMO, shiping the vc-http-api without a single recommended authorization
system, will mean it will never be sufficient by itself, and I see no
reason why we should recommend something other than OAuth 2.0, given the
maturity and contentiousness o all proposed alternatives.

I'd prefer we either recommend OAuth2.0 and leave the door open to other
ways to get an authorization token... or we label the vc-http-api agnostic
to authorization, and warn users that they will need to pair it with other
specs to address security issues associated with exposing http endpoints on
the internet.

I would also love to just do Issue and PR review, and have less open
discussion on calls, we seem to be discouraging asynchronous work, maybe we
can limit open discussion to 50% of the call time?

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*
Chief Technical Officer