Re: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

The "problem", such as it is, has more to do with biometrics than DLTs.
Legacy (analog) credentials are a combination of biometric subject
attributes and forgery prevention. That enables a majority of use-cases to
avoid "calling home". The validity and linked attributes of a legacy
credential are only verified in a small fraction of their uses (police
stops, larger bank transactions).

DLTs (and related revocation dead-drops) are just a means of verification
without calling home in a manner that allows surveillance. They are part of
the forgery prevention and revocation solution. But without a biometric in
the VC, directly or indirectly through the assumption that a biometric was
involved "out-of-band", the misuse of valid credentials is a huge problem.

Avoiding biometrics in the VC through "chain-of-custody" protocols requires
jurisdiction over the holder, lest the holder transfer a valid VC to
another subject. Chain of custody methods effectively treat every subject
as a potential criminal - pre-crime style - and will not be acceptable in
most use-cases.

- Adrian