Re: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

On 7/24/21 5:36 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
> Our SSI implementation does not use any blockchain, so maybe this is your
> problem. Blockchain is a ball and chain around SSI.

A controversial statement if there ever was one. :)

Have you considered that you might not have hit a use case that benefits from
the use of a DLT... but others have?

That's not to say that there aren't use cases that don't require a DLT --
because there absolutely are -- and we all recognized that when creating the
Verifiable Credentials standard (which is why it doesn't mandate the use of
DIDs). However, the argument that there aren't use cases that benefit from a
DLT and that people that think that is a problem is... dubious.

I'll just leave you with some hard data:

There are now 103 registered DID Methods[1].

There are 47 implementations that were submitted to the DID Test Suite for
conformance testing[2].

The vast majority of those implementations are DLT-based[2].

It could be that most of the 47 DID Method implementations we have are
horribly misguided and wrong... but I certainly wouldn't bet against all of
those people. :)

-- manu

[1]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-did-wg/2021Jul/0025.html
[2]https://w3c.github.io/did-spec-registries/#did-methods