RE: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

Adam, I think what you're asking isn't too different from a number of the Badges platforms that are out there. [Others on this list are more familiar with specific implementations.]

For example, I have a number of (not-decentralized) Edx course credentials in my Linkedin profile that act like you describe.  Check out the Licenses and Certification section of https://www.linkedin.com/in/mwherman/.  Click on the See credential links.

Michael

From: Adam Sobieski <adamsobieski@hotmail.com>
Sent: July 19, 2021 3:23 PM
To: public-credibility@w3.org; public-credentials@w3.org
Subject: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

Credible Web Community Group,
Credentials Community Group,

I would like to broach the topic of "digital press passes" towards a more credible web.

As envisioned, "digital press passes" could be provided to organizations and individuals utilizing decentralized public key infrastructure.

Webpages could include URLs to their "digital press passes" in link elements (<link rel="press-pass" href="..." />). This information could also be encoded in documents in a manner interoperable with Web schema. News content could be digitally signed by one or more "digital press passes".

Upsides include: (1) end-users and services could configure which certificate authorities that they desired to recognize, (2) end-users could visually see, in their Web browsers, whether displayed content was from a source with a valid "digital press pass", (3) news aggregation sites could distinguish content digitally signed by "digital press passes", (4) social media websites could visually adorn and prioritize shared content which is digitally signed by "digital press passes", (5) entry for new news organizations and recognition as such by existing services would be simplified, e.g., a new newspaper organization, the new news organization would need to obtain a "digital press pass" from a certificate authority.

Downsides include: impact on citizen journalism, where users other than journalists desire to publish or distribute news content.

Have these ideas been considered before? Any thoughts on these ideas?

Best regards,
Adam Sobieski

P.S.: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifact