Re: Bikeshed: Renaming the VC HTTP API

On 7/17/21 12:23 PM, Orie Steele wrote:
> Web Credentials, WebVC...

Interestingly, we started (many years ago... 7+) with "Web Credentials"... and
then "Identity Credentials"... and then "Verifiable Claims"... and finally
"Verifiable Credentials":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWtOg3vSzxI

That evolution took around 4 years. :)

> I'm still struggling to see how this API is anything other than fancy KMS
> interface that only signs and verifies JSON LD VCs... If cross trust domain
> cases are supported, that's a different kind of thing...

The API you added suggests that the API crosses trust domains:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-http-api/holder.html#operation/storePresentation

> Maybe we should leave the cross trust domain vc apis to didcomm and focus
> on interop behind that layer... Or we should should explicitly embrace that
> use case and add a word like Exchange... Web Credential Exchange, etc...

I was always under the impression that that's where you were going with the
presentation APIs. It's now sounding like you never had that intent (further
miscommunication?).

... but then you have also said that we can't do what we can do via CHAPI by
using purely HTTP... so, now I'm confused.

In your opinion, Orie, is presentation exchange over HTTP in scope or out of
scope?

I had always thought that you were strongly arguing to put it in scope... and
my expectation is that I'm not alone in that assumption (as that is largely
where Adrian's concerns are coming from).

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/