Re: [AGENDA] VC HTTP API Work Item - July 13th 2021

I think you’re asking a confusing question.

Added work for the VC-HTTP-API? Zero.

Added work for an implementor? Depends on where you’re starting. If you’re trying to start from an existing OAuth2 implementation, it’s a medium amount because OAuth2 and GNAP are not wire compatible (by design) — but everything you’re changing has nothing to do with the piece I’m suggesting we defined. In fact, the RAR portion of your OAuth 2 implementation would be completely identical to the same piece of the GNAP request.

And if you’re starting from a green field, then you’re building GNAP. There simply isn’t a decade+ of implementations and extensions for GNAP yet for the simple reason it hasn’t been out for a decade+, but there are a handful of piecemeal implementations that people are working on with more coming.

But let me be clear: I was not saying that specific implementations should be required to implement and use either of these. My read of the proposal, and my recommendation, is that one of the defined mechanisms for protecting access to the API be GNAP, and that another be OAuth2 with RAR.

And I’m saying you can get :both: of those with one section of specification text, like I presented.

 — Justin