Re: ERC-721 Non-Fungible Token Standard on Ethereum vs. VCs on Hyperledger Indy

Hi Nikos,

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.10461.pdf is a fabulous paper and bears
cross-posting to the Confidential Storage WG where we're dealing with
authorization in front of an encrypted data vault (EDV) as a resource
server (RS).

In particular, I'm concerned about the use-case where the Resource Owner
controls a wallet as a user agent (RO) which may be off-line. The RO or RQ
also control an agent / Authorization Server (AS) in the cloud that does
not have the benefit of a hardware secure module the way the wallet / RO or
RQ does. Requests are presented to the AS by the user agent of the
requesting party (RQ). The RQ is typically different from the Client (RC)
which will be used to access the RS. This is all diagrammed here:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ksKal62ZiApX09Nejm4RSqHzHJbgwpu_l2Ho64_ePKU/edit#slide=id.gb2d2b0f28a_0_0

This use-case is common in healthcare where requesting parties are
accountable as licensed individuals but also use an institutional system as
the client to deal with the wider world. Consider, for example, the
Healthcare focal use-case 6.3 Prescriptions (healthcare)
<https://w3c.github.io/did-use-cases/#prescriptions>.

   1. The doctor as RO signs an encrypts a prescription as an NFT with a
   smart contract that will allow revocation when _both_ the pharmacist signs
   that it was dispensed AND the patient signs they received it. (This keeps
   everyone involved accountable for a controlled substance.)
   2. The encryption key is shared with the patient who obviously can know
   what the prescription says.
   3. The encrypted prescription is stored with an RS anywhere the patient
   wants (patient wallet, EDV, personal data store, hospital IT system)
   4. The patient chooses a pharmacy and a pharmacist (RQ) and shares the
   prescription URI (RS), the AS URL, and the encryption key.
   5. The RQ presents their credentials to the AS and receives a JWT for
   access to the RS.
   6. The RQ passes these to the pharmacy system (RC) and dispenses the
   medication.
   7. The accepts the NFT and the contract is now fulfilled so the
   prescription cannot be reused and the ledger remains as an encrypted audit
   trail.

A second use-case may or may not be solved by your approach. We need a way
that the RO can be off-line when the AS issues the JWT. The problem here is
that the AS does not have an obvious way to store the keys it needs. A
threshold signature scheme might work if the AS and RS or the AS and a
notary / auditor both get to evaluate the RQ request but I'm wondering if
there are other solutions. The notary should not have access to the
resource content itself but should be trusted to contribute to
accountability and audit.

Adrian