Re: ERC-721 Non-Fungible Token Standard on Ethereum vs. VCs on Hyperledger Indy

Offhand, one use case is when you only need proof-of-authority and not
necessarily a public blockchain, then Hyperledger Indy with VCs covers that
need. When we were researching various ledgers and blockchains in 2017,
Ethereum was experiencing a spike in price and the transaction costs and
contract creation costs were swinging wildly.

In our case, we wanted verifiable, auditable, tamper-proof sharing of
credentials but we didn't necessarily need that to happen on a public
blockchain, so we went with Indy.

Another way of putting that is, if the project is not currently using a
ledger, has a finite audience and a finite number of authoritative actors
then Indy could solve it, whereas if the project is already leveraging
Ethereum and wants to target a mass audience (e.g. everyone) then it would
seem to make more sense to do it there. Or in a use case where contract
creation and transactions will be high volume enough that the costs matter
then Ethereum may not make sense.

(*These opinions are my own and don't represent the Kiva project)