Re: Single Use Key Pairs: Disposable Private Keys?

To illustrate Sam's and Bob's points, it may be interesting to contrast our
asymmetric signature assumptions with the way the KSI blockchain works.
(Disclosure: I knew nothing about KSI until I joined my current company. We
use KSI for some other things and I've had to learn about it as a result.)

The KSI blockchain is permissioned, and consists of a hierarchy of nodes
that accept documents to be signed. When a document is accepted at a leaf
node, its SHA-256 hash is computed. Along with all other documents at that
leaf note, these hashes are aggregated. Higher levels of the blockchain
compute hashes over increasing number of docs, until the root hash of the
blockchain is updated to reflect the newly ingested data. In such a world,
the "signature" on a document is just the path from the document content to
the root of the blockchain's merkle tree. You know who "signed" the
ingested document as a leaf node, and who "endorsed" that signature by
incorporating its hash into progressively higher levels of the merkle tree.
But you know that by the position of the nodes in the hierarchy, not by the
use of a private key belonging to a particular node. Forging the signature
can't be done by stealing private keys -- only by stealing a node's place
in the hashing hierarchy. There is little risk of disruption from quantum
computing. The system is radically efficient/scalable, and it provides
global timestamping with 1-second resolution. I believe this system more or
less matches Bob's description of how we could store checksums in a VDR. It
provides global verification of document authenticity.

Given that such a system has been in production for almost as long as
Bitcoin, and has these desirable qualities, it is instructive to ask why we
haven't glommed onto it more. Opinions will vary, but I think the essence
of the answer is implicit in Sam's proviso, "If the signature is merely
representing that a signer saw the data." As an SSI community, we want
systems, I think, where the signature is more laden with intention (or is
more granular in intention) than that. And we want systems where issuers
don't have to be pre-approved and share a single governance. And we want
the ability to require that an authorized holder, rather than a random
person, be the presenter of the data (Sam's nonce/replay issue). And we
want the ability to selectively disclose or generate ZKPs rather, than
sharing the signed data directly.

To the extent that none of these extra considerations apply, or to the
extent that they can be worked around or minimized, I think the checksum
approach may be worthy of consideration. But if we really want all of them,
I don't think checksums are the optimal approach.