Re: Single Use Key Pairs: Disposable Private Keys?

> ...are you assuming a classic checksum could be stored in the same way on
> a VDR?

In the abstract, a signature doesn't tell you anything other than that the
checksum was encrypted using the private key paired with the public key.
Thus, in the absence of the private key, or some way to cause it to be used
in a verification process, the signature doesn't really add any useful
information that isn't provided by the unsigned checksum. Given this, it
would seem reasonable to store checksums in a Verifiable Data Registry
(VDR) rather than going through the hassle of processing signatures.
Storing the checksum in the VDR would shift the burden of proof to whatever
methods the VDR used to assert the correctness of its content.

But, if you had a public key that was accompanied by claims, such as those
in a certificate issued by a key pair provider, which stated that it had
issued a key pair containing the public key, then you could verify the
virtual presence of the private key by interacting with the provider of the
certificate. In this case, it would be irrelevant if the private key was
still accessible. Of course, the most you could know was that the relevant
key pair had been issued by the provider, but, you wouldn't be able to
know, or discover, who had used the private key.

bob wyman