W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > December 2021

[MINUTES] W3C CCG Verifiable Credentials for Education Task Force Call - 2021-12-06

From: CCG Minutes Bot <ccgminutes@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 08:38:34 -0800 (PST)
Message-ID: <61af8e0a.1c69fb81.3ed1c.0ced@mx.google.com>
Thanks to Marty Reed for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Verifiable Credentials for Education Task Force telecon are now available:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2021-12-06-vc-education 

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Verifiable Credentials for Education Task Force Telecon Minutes for 2021-12-06

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vc-edu/2021Dec/0002.html
Topics:
  1. IP Note
  2. Meeting minutes & recording
  3. Scribe selection
  4. Introductions & Reintroductions
  5. Announcements
  6. Co-chair Election Results
  7. Phil Long - Single Assertion Endorsements
Organizer:
  Kerri Lemoie
Scribe:
  Marty Reed
Present:
  Kerri Lemoie, John Kuo, Juan Caballero, Phil L (P1), Deb 
  Everhart, Simone Ravaoli, Timothy Summers, Marty Reed, Stuart 
  Freeman, Dmitri Zagidulin, Matthias Gottlieb, Jim Kelly, Phil 
  Barker, Adrian, Taylor, Kayode Ezike, Sharon Leu, David Chadwick, 
  Jessica Ch'ng, Nate Otto, David Ward, Phil Long
Audio:
  https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2021-12-06/audio.ogg

Kerri Lemoie: https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/join
Kerri Lemoie: https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/
<kerri_lemoie> Can you hear me?
<simone_ravaioli> Anyone speaking yet ?
<kerri_lemoie> I think I'm having some mic issues.
<juan_caballero_(spruce)> we seem to have "lost" Kerri
<kerri_lemoie> can anyone hear me
<juan_caballero_(spruce)> (her connection at least, according to 
  Jitsi)
<juan_caballero_(spruce)> no one hears ya, and your icon shows 
  muted
<john_kuo> Kerri, it looks like you are still muted
<juan_caballero_(spruce)> maybe reload from a new browser? 😬
<kerri_lemoie> Sorry all
<kerri_lemoie> working on it
<kerri_lemoie> Can someone else unmute and say something?
<john_kuo> People are talking...
<kerri_lemoie> Ohh
<kerri_lemoie> Trying a new browser
<kerri> I can hear you all now.
<kerri> Hello all -

Topic: IP Note

Kerri Lemoie: https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/join
Kerri Lemoie: https://www.w3.org/accounts/request
Kerri Lemoie: https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/
Kerri Lemoie: Archive: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/

Topic: Meeting minutes & recording

Topic: Scribe selection

Marty Reed is scribing.

Topic: Introductions & Reintroductions

KL: Introductions and reintros
<juancaballero> mazel tov!
Timothy Summers - new intro
Jessica Chung - new fellow at DOE
Ch'ng
Jim Kelly - returning
JK- California community colleges

Topic: Announcements

<kerri> mailing list: 
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vc-edu/
CCG call tomorrow on VC-EDU
<kerri> CCG Meeting:  
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2021Nov/0101.html
Timothy can you put your affiliation in the chat?
Next week, last meeting, Jan.3 next meeting

Topic: Co-chair Election Results

KL: voting result
Dmitri and Simone are the new co-chairs
<deb_everhart> congrats!
<sharon_leu> Congrats!
<timothy_summers> Timothy Summers, Executive Director Product 
  Manager - Digital Trust, Founder/Lead Pocket, Arizona State 
  University
<john_kuo> Timothy Summers: director of the Pocket initiative at 
  ASU
<juan_caballero_(spruce)> 🎉
<john_kuo> Congrats!
<matthias_gottlieb> Congrats!
Kerri Lemoie: https://www.opavote.com/results/5292654993604608
<juan_caballero_(spruce)> 🥰
Simone Ravaoli: :Blush:
<phil_l_(p1)> Contgrats Dmitri and Simone!
<kayode_ezike> Woot woot!!

Topic: Phil Long - Single Assertion Endorsements

PL: discussion on single assertion endorsements
<phil_l_(p1)> Link to my slides:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1oAkF2DC_zvXvAQwITeD04V2JeSAsF8mrh1fJhAwDsws/edit?usp=sharing
<kerri> Thank you to who is sharing
It's me
<kerri> Is my screen visible?
PL: starting with design principles
PL: most physical identity transactions are transient
PL: physical interactions degrade over time
PL: endorsements are technical and transient
PL: Endorsements must be accepted by the holder/endorsee
PL: Endorser presents bona fides in their endorsement -  
  legitimacy as a credible reference
<kerri> Are my slides in your screens?
Yes
<david_chadwick> I have a black screen and no slides
<kerri> Thanks
<kerri> Sorry for technical issues. Can follow along here if you 
  can't see my screen: 
  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1oAkF2DC_zvXvAQwITeD04V2JeSAsF8mrh1fJhAwDsws/edit?usp=sharing
PL: other feedback on design principles?
<deb_everhart> goodn
<deb_everhart> good list
<adrian> The MITRE slide is actually credit to Chris Buchnan as 
  reused by me.
<timothy_summers> :+1:
PL: funding exists for single assertion credentials for 
  endorsement
<adrian> with permission by Chris.
Single assertion credentials for endorsements - 
<simone_ravaioli> On design principles: Make it super easy to 
  "endorse", like a FB thumbs up.  balance tech implementation with 
  UX.
<kerri> Endorsement spec info: 
  https://www.imsglobal.org/sites/default/files/Badges/OBv2p0Final/index.html#Endorsement
PL: technical options - v2.2x OB example carries forward into OB 
  v3 context
KE: the idea of endorsements including LinkedIn endorsements, Q: 
  how do you think about verification
PL: how does one think about it from issued credentials versus 
  self-issued credentials
PL: secondarily the process/mechanism of verification
PL: the verification here is aligned to the VC data model
AG: 2 kinds of endorsements, related to identity and related to 
  validity
AG: real world identity is verified by notaries, is this 
  necessary in the education space?
<john_kuo> I think you can do in in a single issued credential
PL: started from the foundation the person is accruing these 
  credentials over a lifetime
PL: each credential should be inclusive of both identity and 
  validity, but open to other methods
AG: cost related to identity is often 0, cost related to a 
  credential is significant.
PL: make the creation of DIDs an easier process
PL: this would better align with the current world of, for 
  example, notaries at public libraries
PL: DID linking approach
DZ: example of the use of multiple signatures
DZ: various signature methods allow for more than one signature 
  and maintain integrity
DZ: what does it mean that 2 people find the VC
<juancaballero> Markus Sabadello even did a presentation (maybe 
  at a DIF meeting?) about multi-proof'd payloads

PROPOSAL:  Anchored Resources and Hashlinks for VCs https

DZ: what does it mean when an institution signs and then another 
  party signs the VC, what is implied?
<juancaballero> ...and mentioned the aforementioned semantic 
  black hole Dmitry is describing :D
Kerri Lemoie: @Juancaballero: do you have a link?
<kayode_ezike> Does proofPurpose in VC data model not resolve 
  that ambiguity?
DZ: downside is that proof methods are various
Juan Caballero: 
  https://identity.foundation/faq/#can-a-vc-be-signed-by-two-or-more-parties-how-do-i-produce-and-consume-multi-signed-vcs-%EF%B8%8F
DZ: they don't typically have the purpose of the signature at the 
  top level
<kerri> Thanks! @juancaballero
<kayode_ezike> Gotcha 👍🏾
DZ: purpose is not always explicit
Juan Caballero: 
  https://github.com/decentralized-identity/interoperability/blob/master/agenda2021.md#agenda---3-feb-2021---useu-time-0600-pt---update-on-did-core-and-enterprise-ethereum-alliance-d-burnett-and-did-interop-fundamentals-markus-sabadello-and-guests
<juancaballero> (oops broken link)
AG: issue of liability of the intent of the signature, endorser 
  is expected to keep a log of their endorsements, how far do we 
  want to go down the rabbit hole of current world of required logs
PL: questioning what ways can liability be limited, but don't 
  have legal interpretation currently
DZ: engineering perspective: do we know enough about the use case 
  around an issuer or signature log
DZ: wallet project in DCC is currently struggling with this 
  question
DZ: I haven't seen any standardizations at this point
PL: also relevent to Manu's proposal to status list
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-status-list-2021/
Juan Caballero: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/vc-status-list-2021/issues/2
<juancaballero> ^ Specific issue
DZ: status list is just another way of linking
<juancaballero> about new types/enums
PL: #2 is symantic free
PL: referencing Manu Sporny hash link model
Marty Reed:  Using smart contracts & hashed storage [scribe 
  assist by Kerri Lemoie]
Kerri Lemoie: MR: create VCs as hashed storage and reconnect them 
  on the user side.
Kerri Lemoie: MR: destination address is the contract
Kerri Lemoie: MR: example of destination is IPFS.; References 
  chain
Phil Long:  Create a single issue vc that describes where the 
  endorser is giving background & evidence of their endorsement 
  claim and then put it in IPFS which the wallet holder can point 
  to. [scribe assist by Kerri Lemoie]
Kerri Lemoie: MR: allows them to store the endorsement, license, 
  state & transcript - then package the three independently signed 
  objects into a single signed one.
Kerri Lemoie: MR:beauty of using the hash model, if the hash is 
  changed, then the VC is broken: multilayer protection.
<deb_everhart> very helpful explanation, thank you
<dmitri_zagidulin> I also have a proposal to the VC WG similar to 
  this: https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/issues/831
PL: John Kuo with pocket has an endorsement issuance flow
JK: advantage of having a closed system
JK: self-issued credential and portfolio credential
JK: there is a request for an endorsement for a specific identity
JK: the request can also be a standalone endorsement
JK: self-issued credentail - recieve request, interpret request, 
  credential endorser signs and issues from their identity
PL: analogous to a professional org
JK: single asset example
JK: each endorsement credential is signed by a single entity
PL: lots more questions than answered in this discussion
<deb_everhart> would portfolio use case be similar to endorsing a 
  verified presentation?
PL: focusing on design principles for clarity
<kayode_ezike> *831
Dmitri Zagidulin: https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/issues/831
<phil_l_(p1)> For contacting me, phil@rhzconsulting.com re: 
  endorsement credentials
DZ: use of content hash as an alternative
JK: pocket intented implementation is hash and UUID
<deb_everhart> thank you
JK: answer to DE, yes
<juancaballero> or to put it another way, a portfolio could be 
  expressed as a VP :D
<kayode_ezike> Cheers
Received on Tuesday, 7 December 2021 16:39:49 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:25:25 UTC