RE: What are VCs similar to?

RE: you can’t attach other data in a tamper-evident way, to a cert.

I believe you actually can (but may be wrong at the edges).

Back in 2002, as a founding Groove Networks business partner, I built a software licensing key solution called Parallelspace Softpass that uses custom properties in X.509 certificates to encode the software license for a specific application, specific edition of the apps, specific up-sell options, etc. to run on specific computers.  We used the Certificate Authority service on a Windows Server 2000 box. We used the default Windows CA web GUI to initiate the creation of each cert and then used some sort of Windows CA command line tool to add our custom properties.  Then went back into the Windows CA web GUI to issue and download the physical X.509 certificate (as well as our own root certificate) and we would email these as plain old attachments to our customers.

For historical interest, attached is a copy of the Parallelspace SoftPass programmers' guide.

But even cooler, it appears that in 2002 I had a sense for what a “decentralized software solutions business ecosystem” might be comprised of (from page 6)…

[cid:image001.jpg@01D797F5.1A328860]

I guess I’ve been working on decentralized software solutions for 19 years. 😉 😊

Best regards,
Michael Herman
Far Left Self-Sovereignist

Self-Sovereign Blockchain Architect