Re: [VOTE CLOSING TODAY] VC HTTP API Renaming Poll

On 8/20/21 6:11 PM, Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) wrote:
> p.s. I don’t want to see the existing votes thrown out. I'll withdraw my
> objection first.

Good to hear, this is the sort of consideration to the burden put on the rest
of the community that we like to see with any principled objection.

To be crystal clear about how I feel about your objection (because I do think
it would be healthy for someone in the community to acknowledge how misguided
this objection is):

* The poll and timing was announced four weeks in
  advance.

* The poll opening date and duration was announced on the
  weekly calls (and in the minutes) multiple times.

* There was ample opportunity to vote (it was open for a
  week, with a week preceding the vote to review the
  options, and then two weeks preceding that to provide
  options).

Yes, I failed to mention the time zone. However, if you're counting on a time
zone to argue the technicality of THIS vote, I don't expect that you'll get
much sympathy as there were seven 24 hour periods where you could have voted
remotely and you didn't.

To then raise a principled objection over an optional poll that is non-binding
and that is just meant to collect information for the community, thus
generating even more work for the community, is... in my not so humble opinion
... an abuse of the principled objection process.

With all that said, here's an option:

There are two people that have emailed to say that they missed the poll and
intended to vote (one of them privately). If both of these individuals are
willing to 1) send their votes to the mailing list and 2) tally and
cross-check the final rankings (thus taking on the burden of the work you're
asking the community to do), then we can count those two additional votes as
long as someone from the community doesn't object to that process.

> Caveat: There is a remote possibility that I may have also voted already
> but I have no recollection of this and no emailed receipt that I can find
> (for example). I wasn't able to verify this at 11:26pm last night.

Since all the votes are anonymized and lack time stamping information (in
order to ensure that votes can't be correlated to individuals) there is no way
for me to tell from the poll data.

So, if you voted and forgot, then it'll be impossible to detect the double-vote.

> Can I email in my vote?

Yes, if you do the work to recalculate the Borda counts across all the votes.
Let's see if the other individual wants to cross-check your votes (or we have
another volunteer) and go from there.

In the meantime, I'll publish the final tallies to the mailing list so we have
them.

Do you want to proceed with the manual vote process above?

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/