Re: Diagrams for VC HTTP API work [was Re: [AGENDA] VC HTTP API Work Item - August 17th 2021]

On 8/17/2021 12:14 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
> On 16/08/2021 22:16, Joe Andrieu wrote:
>> Based on conversations with the use case team, I've put together the
>> attached diagrams, illustrating a minimum conceptual model based on
>> the USCIS Green Card use case, as implemented using CHAPI.
>>
>> I'm sure this model is lacking some elements for folks who have a
>> slightly different configuration. I chose this use case because it is
>> the one I'm most familiar with, making it easiest to be complete. I'd
>> like to speak to folks with different scenarios and see if we can't
>> come up with a variation that covers your requirements.
>> 6. The message names are chosen for logical consistency in "normal
>> English"; they should likely be turned into camel case or something
>> and we can have a bikeshed festival.
>
> Hi Joe
>
> Thanks for these. Overall they are in the right direction. Here is my
> feedback.
>
> 1. On the issuer
>
> This is too specific (i.e. not generic enough) as it requires the
> holder to present a VP in order to get a VC. But what if the holder
> does not have any VC to turn into a VP? Can you generalise it by
> having a challenge and a signed challenge (or authentication response)
> and verification of the response without mandating this to be a VP?

Can't a VP be signed without any VCs inside?  What is the specification
status of an empty VP?  As far as I can tell, a VP with no VCs in it is
a fairly common mechanism for signing a challenge to authenticate
control of a DID, although to be honest I'm not really clear on whether
there is an equivalent for "linked-secret"/indirected-identifier subject
credentials (i.e. Indy or Azure) or for non-DID VCs.

David, could I ask you to describe a little what the challenge/AuthN
flow is like in your system and where the sticking points would be in
rearranging it a bit to conform to an "empty VP" style flow? Would it be
generalising enough to rename the VC-request to a "provide challenge"
(with optional VC request in tow) and to rename the VC selection "Prompt
for consent (and optional VC selection)", or did you have a further
generalisation in mind?

--
Juan Caballero

Berlin-based: +49 1573 5994525