From: steve capell <steve.capell@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2021 10:40 PM
To: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>
Cc: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>; Alan Karp <alanhkarp@gmail.com>; Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com>; Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>; W3C Credentials CG (Public List) <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: EXTERNAL: How to contribute to new standards work? (was:Re: RDF Dataset Canonicalization - Formal Proof)

Dear community members (and leadership)

I'm resurrecting this thread because there was some interest in the standardisation of the simple merkel tree of salted hashes approach to selective redaction.

<<Christopher Allen said: There was an attempt to spec one here in the CCG three-four years ago, but it died on the vine.>>

Manu also correctly pointed out (although I cant seem to find the message) that it's all well and good to point at open source implementations - but without an open standard it is much less likely that there will be interoperable implementations.  very good point manu.

There was another thread a while back about decentralised rendering (so that the issuer can publish templates to help verifiers present VCs in a human readable form).  That's also something that the Singapore open attestation tools do. And also something that attracted some interest in this community.  But also something that would attract the same criticism about being published as an open standard.

Anyhow - to cut a long storey short, I believe there is now a strong interest to actually document the selective redaction and decentralised rendering methods as open standards. The obvious place to contribute that work to seems to the W3C and this working group in particular.

Problem is I'm just a loiterer / eavesdropper on this list and I really don't know how/where to start with proposing standards and offering initial contributions.

Does anyone have any advice?