From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 7, 2021 3:58:28 PM
To: public-credentials@w3.org <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [Agenda] W3C Credentials CG Call Tues, Aug 10, 9am PT, 12pm ET, 5pm GMT, 6pm CET / 6AM+1 NZDT

On 8/7/21 12:14 AM, Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) wrote:
> 3. Also, why, in the VC HTTP protocol specification, is attribution given
> to specific organizations like DHS for partially funding the development of
> the VC HTTP specification? Why isn't my company and everyone else's company
> also mentioned? ...more clichism? IMO, all references to DHS wrt funding or
> sponsorship need to be removed from all W3C specifications.

One of those classes of funding is tax payer money (public sector), the other
isn't (private sector).

As tax payers, we've had our representatives pass laws that require funding
disclosures when public sector money is used to fund research, standards, etc.
(because tax payers like to know where their money is going and most
governments like to be transparent about what they're funding):

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/disclosure-of-funding-sources

A simple Google search will surface more rationale behind the practice.

Note that citing public funding sources is the norm and it's not just US
government that does it; almost every modern government has similar requirements.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/