Re: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

About the digital press pass use case...

This is an incredibly complex issue, but an important one and a quiet
Sunday afternoon, so I'll jump in and wax philosophic here.

/I apologize for bloviating in advance.../

In certain war zones, having a realistic looking press pass could save
someone's life, so I am supportive of this functionality in general. But
the flip side is that it could inadvertently get more professional
journalists killed.

For example. the CIA used the cover of a UN/UNICEF hepatitis vaccine
program to gain access to the bin Laden compound in Abbotabad, to do DNA
tests of the children there. After the successful op, the Taliban
assassinated eight polio vaccination workers in retribution, even though
those people and UNICEF had nothing to do with the operation. This
resulted in the suspension of U.N. polio eradication efforts in
Pakistan, which subsequently led to outbreaks of polio in Pakistan and
Somalia. So like, lots of people died as a result of all of this, which
had credentials at the heart of the matter.

Under pressure from public health experts, Obama later promised never to
use UNICEF workers as a cover, just as the CIA promised not to use
journalists as cover, in a ban that was initiated in 1977. So we need to
be careful, because there may be unanticipated consequences to our
actions in this group, that could cost lives, especially around
decentralized press credentials and vaxpasses.

By the way, I know about this because I was part of the UNICEF team that
helped to contain those outbreaks. By the way, this was actually a
pretty dangerous mission, as there was a kidnapping of an extended team
member during our mission. And two team members died in an IED bombing
along the very road we took a few months earlier. Now, I could be
bullshitting, so as a way to demonstrate verifiable content, here's me
in a polio hotspot in Rawalpindi:

If you examine the EXIF for this photo:

  * <exif:Lens>iPhone 5s front camera 2.15mm f/2.4</exif:Lens>
  * <exif:GPSLatitude>33,37.6117N</exif:GPSLatitude>
  * <exif:GPSLongitude>73,1.3092E</exif:GPSLongitude>
  * <exif:GPSAltitudeRef>0</exif:GPSAltitudeRef>
  * <exif:GPSAltitude>64637/123</exif:GPSAltitude>
  * <exif:GPSTimeStamp>2014-12-09T07:00:40Z</exif:GPSTimeStamp>

The location maps to a suburb of Rawalpindi, and it was taken in 2014.
If the hardware were trusted, this could prove that I really was there
and that the image was not photoshopped. (Incidentally, I contacted a
senior exec/friend at Nikon, to see if they would be interested in
creating a trusted hardware based journalism camera, but it wasn't of
major interest there, as they were too busy fighting off Canon and Apple
for survival.)

Anyway, I was the guy who brought Ed Bice to the Boston RWOT meeting to
discuss starting up a Verifiable News subgroup - he started the
Credibility Coalition that got funding from Google, Facebook and Craig
Newmark to expand its work assessing trust in journalism, and was later
supported by 50 news agencies. Anyway, Sandro cut him off from the DID
pack pretty early, and I assessed the difficulty of the project to be at
the "tilting at windmills" level, so I was happy to stop thinking about
this problem for a while, to focus on easier problems.

The point of this little exercise is that there may never be a universal
arbiter of truth, but we can slowly build a web of trust for evidence
based credibility indicators. And this group of ours should focus more
on building trustable envelopes than trying to insure the veracity of
contents of those envelopes. That is a key distinction for our statement
of purpose.

Moses

PS, about the UNICEF thing... this is tangential, but the best thing we
did to address the outbreak in Pakistan was to create a comic book to
train the 200,000 polio workers who had to go door to door to inoculate
children. If you're interested, here's the comic book:

    *https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s2ezchb7gyr02t/PolioComicBook.pdf?dl=0*
    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s2ezchb7gyr02t/PolioComicBook.pdf?dl=0>

And here's my original script for the comic book, before editing by
UNICEF experts:

    *https://www.dropbox.com/s/221vic4t9luypgt/PolioComicBook%20Script.pdf?dl=0*
    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/221vic4t9luypgt/PolioComicBook%20Script.pdf?dl=0>

Again, if this sort of thing could be made verifiable, it leads to
greater veracity in web content.

--

--

*Moses Ma | Managing Partner*

moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com | moses@futurelab.ventures |
moses@ngenven.com

v+1.415.568.1068 | skype mosesma | /linktr.ee/moses.tao/
<http://linktr.ee/moses.tao>

FutureLab provides strategy, ideation and technology for breakthrough
innovation and third generation blockchains.

Learn more at /www.futurelabconsulting.com/
<http://futurelabconsulting.com>. For calendar invites, please cc:
mosesma@gmail.com

Or whet your appetite by reading /Agile Innovation/
<http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Innovation-Revolutionary-Accelerate-Engagement/dp/B00SSRSZ9A>
<https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Design-Sprint-Application-Disruptive/dp/1799143864>
| my blog at /psychologytoday.com/
<http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-tao-innovation>.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY
REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR
BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THIS
EMAIL SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED BINDING; HARD COPY DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED
TO CREATE LEGALLY BINDING COMMITMENTS. FOR CALENDAR INVITES, PLEASE CC:
MOSESMA@GMAIL.COM