Re: Question regarding JSON-LD canonicalization

On 10/25/20 11:30 AM, Andreas Kuehne wrote:
> Hi Orie,
>
> thank you for your quick reply!
>
> Still I have some problems to understand the process based in the
> specifications. As far as I understand the code the URDNA2015 normalizer
> buils an array of NQuads. But that's not a hashable byte array. Do I
> miss an important intermediate step?

The content encoding of NQuads is always UTF-8.

https://www.w3.org/TR/n-quads/#sec-mediatype

A byte array containing the UTF-8 encoded, lexicographically sorted,
NQuads is what should be hashed. When producing an LD proof, there are
some other steps that involve what constitutes the input to the signing
process, which is what Orie linked to.

In short, an LD Proof involves hashing the canonicalized, UTF-8 NQuads
for the document to be signed, and hashing the canonicalized, UTF-8
NQuads for the proof meta data. The two hashes concatenated together
constitute the input to a given signature algorithm as the "verify data"
to be signed, such that the entire document and all proof meta data are
"covered content" by the signature.

Orie's links should cover the above process in more detail if you're
interested in producing LD proofs. If you're just looking for a hash of
some RDF dataset (perhaps represented as a JSON-LD document), then you
can simply get the normalized NQuads and serialize those using UTF-8 to
a byte array and hash that.

--
Dave Longley
CTO