Re: Verifiable Credentials: Top A11y Use Cases

On 5/19/20 10:15 AM, John, Anil wrote:
> I've made an explicit note to myself to explore how the use cases
> that are focused on accessibility and disability status, instead of
> being treated as standalone, could be incorporated into our existing
> VC/DID issuance and verification flows for the credentials we are
> authoritative for.

One thing to note, that some on here might not be aware of, is that the
W3C Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group is heavily
involved in creating the standards that US Govt. eventually ends up
subsuming into law.

One example is Section 508 and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG):

https://www.boia.org/blog/is-there-a-legal-requirement-to-implement-wcag

My expectation is that W3C APA may have some things to say about
Verifiable Credentials, and how they're handled, that end up being
subsumed into law as well.

For example, I'm not convinced that the Credential Handler API (CHAPI)
used in the browser is ADA compliant yet... it might be, but it hasn't
been tested AFAIK.

>> Cross-Border Transfer of Service Dogs and Comfort Animals
> Hmm... I will need to talk to some folks who sit on the other side of
> the table (i.e. those who need to validate/verify status) to
> understand their pain points on this as well. On a separate note,
> would this actually end up being a case where the Subject and the
> Holder are NOT the same?

Yes, it might be that the Credential Subject would be the service animal
and the Holder would be the individual with accessibility needs. It
might also be the case where the Credential Subject is the person and
there is a relationship between them and a description of the service
animal (like an identifier for the animal).

The data might be modeled in either way, depending on how Self-Sovereign
you want the animal to be. :P (I'm only half joking). There is not much
different between this use case and one involving a dependent or child.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches