Re: Privacy-protecting contact tracer for COVID-19?

Hi Michael, et alia,

I'm totally with you on this, in terms of the social and emotional
dimensions. We are developing very realistic use cases based on things
like detecting anti-social non-compliant spreaders and the impact of
vaccine protesters/conspiracy theorists. My favorite use case is "the
mistress situation" - about a fellow who sneaks out to visit his
mistress - how do we get him to /want/ to comply with a contact tracing
app, and not turn off the phone exactly when he's doing something risky?
I believe that this is possible only by providing greater privacy, just
like they do with HIV tests.

Further, my belief is that due to how flatfooted the federal response
has been, and because local governmental bodies have been forced to be
more proactive, it might be possible to deploy a pilot application with
innovative features in a small to medium sized city. With a successful
test, it may be possible to get a seat at the table when the CDC decides
what technologies to integrate for a national solution. But more likely,
this is a rare opportunity to launch a bottom up effort that drives the
SSI vision at a grass roots level. Otherwise, we will certainly deploy a
monolithic centralized database that could be later mis-used, just as
Christopher says. I mean, Trump is already threatening not to comply
with oversight for the $500B meant for SMEs.

And to be frank, I agree that DID's aren't ready for prime time stress
testing, but we /can/ set the stage for privacy protecting contact
tracing solutions later - and possibly embed a first pass at some sort
of "the perfect should not be the enemy of the good" privacy protection
into an early Phase I pilot test - and have that open source model
reusable, to inform developers around the world. For example, let's
think about how to create a DID based ID module that allows users to
travel to other countries and make it easier to sign up for their
contact tracers, and connect systems/data in an innovative new way. Or
maybe it's possible that a VC for coronavirus antibody certificates
could lead to the kind of /in vivo/ data collection that will help
determine how long the antibodies last faster, so we embed that into a
Phase II solution that combines that with core contact tracing for both
infection and reinfection. Otherwise, once someone recovers and gets a
paper certificate, they might simply stop using the contact tracing
tool. Technologies like Kinsa show that innovative approaches work and
that the CDC needs to catch up - we cannot allow the Federal government
to reject anything new as "too difficult during a crisis".

Anyway, there are so many political roadblocks here, that we shouldn't
create more here. I'll participate in the call on Tuesday, but honestly,
I would prefer to recruit a small and more nimble team of architects and
prolific developers to work offline in this likely quixotic initiative.
For example, we have some very promising large scale optimization
solutions, and we've recruited a brain trust of 20 top optimization
scientists and PhDs - half of whom are full professors - to participate
in our project. I'm hoping to do the same thing here, so...

    *EMAIL ME directly
    <mailto:moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com?Subject=About%20your%20COVID%20initiative&Body=Please%20sign%20me%20up%2C%20I%20want%20to%20make%20a%20difference%21>
    if you'd like to join our small and nimble team, and please include
    your CV*

In other words, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would prefer
not to "write a paper" for RWOT this time - instead I wish to move into
action based on a collaboration model of 0% bloviating/100% cohesive
action - to develop an MVP featuring something realistic running ASAP.
Even if there's no DID in Phase I.

Oops, I guess I'm bloviating now... ;-)

Finally, you might ask "what the hell does Moses know about pandemics?"
I was a strategic consultant for UNICEF in dealing with the re-outbreak
of polio several years ago - and we participated in the successful
effort to control outbreaks in Pakistan and Somalia - and one of our
solutions was nominated for an "Innovation of the Year" award. As part
of this assignment, my team spent time on the ground in Rawalpindi and
Somalia, which are really dangerous places! (You never feel more alive
than when someone you just met the day before gets kidnapped by the
Taliban.) And confidentially, I've been working with a team of leading
virologists (their lab was the first to sequence SARS) for a couple of
years now, and have written a paper with them about using blockchains
and SSI in outbreak research. Our paper has cleared peer review at
/Science/, the AAAS journal, and is in the publication queue now. I
believe this will be the first mention of DIDs in /Science/.

By the way, you might find this amusing... I've asked a couple of
Hollywood producer friends (one exec produced /Home Alone/ and
discovered Julia Roberts) if it might be possible for them to get us 100
celebrities to do PSAs to support adoption for our pilot. It's
non-technological stuff like this that can make a difference.

Finally, it's important to note that we have some running code already,
and hope to have something decent to test in a month./But our rushing
does not mean we are a technology solution blind to extremely important
social and emotional dimensions.
/

Stay healthy everyone!

Moses
////

--

*Moses Ma | Managing Partner*

moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com | moses@ngenven.com

v+1.415.568.1068 | skype mosesma | /linktr.ee/moses.tao/
<http://linktr.ee/moses.tao>

FutureLab provides strategy, ideation and technology for breakthrough
innovation and third generation blockchains.

Learn more at /www.futurelabconsulting.com/
<http://futurelabconsulting.com>. For calendar invites, please cc:
mosesma@gmail.com

Or whet your appetite by reading /Agile Innovation/
<http://www.amazon.com/Agile-Innovation-Revolutionary-Accelerate-Engagement/dp/B00SSRSZ9A>
<https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Design-Sprint-Application-Disruptive/dp/1799143864>
| my blog at /psychologytoday.com/
<http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-tao-innovation>.

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY
REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS E-MAIL IS
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR
BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. THIS
EMAIL SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED BINDING; HARD COPY DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED
TO CREATE LEGALLY BINDING COMMITMENTS. FOR CALENDAR INVITES, PLEASE CC:
MOSESMA@GMAIL.COM