Re: 3M Validation Page

I think it could also be interesting to hear from TradeLens or Komgo, both global trade related initiatives, about how they handle the identity proofing of actors & assets throughout their system.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020, at 11:49 AM, Tony Rose wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> It's not just limited to (high) fashion, it has an impact on other supply chains, which influences economics, and global trash. There are also some major issues - like jurisdiction specific laws. The pharma supply chain is the most advanced using this technology due to regulatory compliance. Also, all this enables Industry 4.0 - which is a very Elon Muskish manufacturing future driven out of Europe.
>>
>> FWIW, Patagonia is the brand/manufacturing leader in this space. H&M and other European brands are following. Sustainability is an important value for younger generations. And the Covid crisis is having a major impact on fast fashion -- in a good way. Fast fashion is very destructive to the environment. It's good to be done with it.
>>
>> This is a topic we discuss over at the Hyperledger Supply Chain SIG. This is one reason I am so keen on digital identity technology for non-humans and preparing this data for ML tools. We are so in the early stages of this rn. There are a lot of people/companies already exploring these ideas in specific verticals and more broadly across the supply chain.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -Heather
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 7:25 AM <steve.e.magennis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In my mind, supply chain provenance suffers from two key problems: enticing participants to take on the extra effort required to participate in the system, and ensuring the suppliers are honest in using the system. The first issue can be addressed with contractual or legal requirements. I imagine there might be a few businesses or industry segments out there that see a strategic advantage to being part of a verifiable supply chain and seek out systems to participate in, but mostly I would think this is something that would be imposed upon them and not without direct or indirect compensation. The second problem is more challenging. If a supplier has integrity and a good reputation then their mark stands for something. On the other hand if a supplier’s operation has not risen to that level, then external audits, or certifications by some organization that has a sterling reputation must be invoked. For the lux goods example, this might mean industry standards organizations but might also have to be the brand itself, meaning they might need to be responsible for ensuring the integrity of the entire chain (think Starbucks coffee provenance system). Do trusted governance ecosystems ensuring material and manufacturing quality need to exist at each stage of the supply chain before a brand can promote provenance in a meaningful way, even before VC’s come into play? Can / should a brand take on some of the missing pieces? If the assembly factory is awesome but the tannery that supplies the leather is less so, is that still OK as far as the brand is concerned?____

>>> 1) Because the cost of transaction is relatively high, AURA is likely to remain the preserve of high-end luxury goods, where anti-counterfeiting is the primary use case. So this leads me to wonder... would a VC be cheaper than writing a record a blockchain? ____

>>> __ __

>>> 2) If these brands wish to create a more intimate connection the consumer, it might be smarter to do something like this: Imagine Beyonce's Ivy Park activewear line included a VC. Why? Because Beyonce has been attacked over social media for using Sri Lankan factories paying 2¢/hr for labor. A chain of VCs could theoretically verify a chain of ethical manufacture, and also ensure compliance with sustainability goals. Plus, that VC provides a one time pass to receive a free song, that is not available commercially. Would anyone be up to helping me think this through as a gedanken exercise to understand VCs better?____

>>> Moses____

>>> moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com | moses@futurelab.ventures | moses@ngenven.com____

>>> v+1.415.568.1068 | skype mosesma | *linktr.ee/moses.tao*____