Re: A Proposal for Credential-based login (public-webpayments'at'w3'dot'org 3-14-2014)

I have a handful of FIDOish tokens in my drawer and can’t bear to use any
of them. Some have a fingerprint sensor. Some use USB or USB-C. One uses
NFC.

I have FaceID on one device and TouchID on two other devices. I use them
100 times a day. I have no idea if they use any standards at all.

I have a three password managers on the three devices. They each sync with
themselves. One uses Dropbox. One uses iCloud. Firefox uses Mozilla. It’s a
mess, sort-of works, and upsets me every time I use any of them.

Most service providers I use offer me login using Facebook or Twitter. I
never use that because OIDC leaks both privacy and sovereignty. I’m waiting
for Apple Sign-In so I can at least have some privacy at the cost of my
self- sovereignty. Sucks.

Oh, I almost forgot my two-factor auth SMS and Duo calls from MIT to my
mobile. And the authenticator apps from Microsoft and Google that I almost
never use.

There’s also a Bitcoin wallet or three, ApplePay, uPort, and I forget.....

If any two of my three devices is lost I have some prayer of recovering
some of my credentials but I still have some paper backups in places I’ve
possibly forgotten or files with passwords I never use.

How will SSI come into my life? Will it be through DID Peer or DID Auth?
Who will sell it to me? Will it still be self-sovereign?

- Adrian