From: Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 11:44 AM
To: W3C Credentials CG (Public List)
Subject: Weekend Project: DID MEME

On the weekends, I get to work on whatever I want :)

Inspired by the new `did:twit` method, recently registered here: https://github.com/w3c/did-spec-registries/pull/90

I created `did:meme` (not registered yet...)

https://didme.me/did:meme:1zgswzdje885tzr8408m37sjmaa0sthw265ty6hmwzmau48kd809zzrgra4w5w
https://github.com/OR13/didme.me

Obviously this is kind of a joke... However, I think there may be some interesting technical firsts here, and if they are not firsts, I'm sure readers of this mailing list will be able to correct me.

1. First use of bech32 to encode a did identifier

In order to make the DIDs look different from IPID / IPLD / IPFS / IPNS... I transformed them using bech32.

2. First use of a covert channel for a verifiable data registry.

The image (meme) contains the multi codec representation of the public key (same as is used by did:key)...

This means that the did document is recovered from data stored in an image. (not encrypted!)... this technique is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

It is useful when you need to exchange messages without it being obvious that you are doing so, for example: https://twitter.com/didtwitt3r/status/1285446654112350209

Sadly this technique is often abused by the baddies, to hide botnet command and control traffic on public platforms...

However, I would not consider steganography to be inherently good or evil... it's just another way of encoding (not encrypting).

Finally, the data goes on the public IPFS network... so thanks to https://infura.io/ for making it possible to make this demo on a public github pages backed website.

Regards,

OS

--