Re: Lightning Service Authentication Tokens (LSATs)

Thanks Anthony!

That's right, the idea of 3rd party caveats is interesting in the context of the VC conversation from this week.

I came up with a proposal that technically does work today with the latest release of lnd that uses an integrated encryption scheme to share an "ephemeral key" that is encrypted using the authorizing party's lightning node's public key and added in the 3rd party caveat. The 3rd party then decrypts the key and uses this to sign the discharge macaroon. Lightning is particularly useful for this type of construction since participants each have a known, queryable public key that is backed by funded lightning channels (so you can't just spin off unlimited key pairs and your public key has some "reputation" attached to it in the form of confirmed channel liquidity). Here's a description of the proposal, including a diagram and how to test it out yourself: https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/issues/288#issuecomment-559896636. I've also deployed a version of this that only uses first party caveats, with a challenge and a response token, both in caveats, where the response is verified against the node's public key.

So, short summary and a little in the weeds with lightning, but happy to discuss more if people are interested on Tuesday!

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.