Re: OpenAttestation (was Re: looking for a specific use-case)

Interesting article bill

May well be correct for the use case you describe of Singapore’s education system.  But I think it needs to be updated to reflect current state for our cross border use:
- you talk about a central register of approved issuers, but there is no managed register of issuer identities.  The issuer ID is linked to their DNS.  abf.gov.au for example, which obviously needed no approval from Singapore
- you say that the certificate is stored in free text, but actually it is symmetrically encrypted using a one time password

One interesting question is how the subject (not the issuer) is identified.  Not a DID. Actually just a public domain identifier like a business registration number. I guess this is one of the core differences between open attestation and VCs.  I think this goes to the use case for tyres things in international trade. Unlike a VC style bearer token where the presenter is almost always the subject, these are rather more transactional credentials (eg a certificate of origin about a consignment of goods from an exporter) where the presenter is often (usually) not the subject.  Eg a certificate of origin pathway is issuer (chamber) -> subject (exporter) -> freight forwarder -> importer -> customs broker -> verifier (importing customs agent).  I don’t know (but willing to learn) how you’d practically make this work if each party in the chain needed to verify DIDs

Cheers

Steven Capell
Mob: 0410 437854