Re: Verifiable Requests?

Interesting. In case it’s helpful, in our own implementation we’ve found that “request” can become pretty overloaded but it’s still a very intuitive term. So, we distinguish between “verifiable presentation requests” and “verifiable credential requests”. The former is a verifier requesting a presentation from a subject, and the latter is a subject requesting a credential from an issuer. And to be honest, we ended up just dropping “verifiable” from the names because it gets pretty clunky otherwise.

We haven’t needed to use credential requests much yet, but I think how much they vs. presentation requests are needed probably depends a lot on use case. The "credential offers" Wayne described seem like a good complementary concept, where the issuer is offering (requesting?) something from the subject.

There’s a subtlety we’ve come across that I’ll also mention: It’s useful to allow requests to be both general and specific. What I mean is, for presentation requests, sometimes you want one that can be received by any subject, and other times you want one that’s only for a specific subject. Same with credential requests, where sometimes you want it to be for any issuer and other times for a specific issuer. Again, I think which type is more common depends hugely on use case.

I’m a proponent of not trying to include every conceivable use case in v1 of the standards. Much better to let practical implementation needs guide the way. That said, I think these sorts of concepts would be really helpful to include. And frankly, my guess is anyone who’s implementing the current standards has invented things that are roughly equivalent… because they’re simply necessary for real world applications. And because of that, I’m sure much of this is old news to many!

Liam

Liam McCarty
Co-Founder of Unum ID <http://www.unumid.org/>