Re: VCs - zCaps / OCap a Discussion

While that specific use case might be a bit of an edge case, the common use
cases we expect to see brings me to the argument as to why a VC-based
specification of OCAPs (VC-CAPs??) would be extremely valuable:

- the underlying flow (issuer-holder-verifier) is essentially the same for
both.
- the need for cryptographic trust in both cases are the same (in the OCAP
case, the need for the holder to prove a binding to the initial holder --
as the same entity or a delegate)
   - in saying that, I don't mean "gov't id" type identity but rather I'm
in control of the holder's (or the holder's delegate's) private
key/cryptographic binding material
- the storage for the two is going to be the same -- some sort of wallet
that the holder can use to receive, hold/protect and present
- the protocols necessary to issue and present are if not identical,
extremely close -- and can ideally be merged (see the next point)
- the places where the two are used are often going to be the same, often
within the same flow. For example, at a hospital, I have a (perhaps
delegated) capability to do something AND I have a VC that shows I'm a
licensed medical doctor in good standing.

On that last item, I'm really not going to be happy if I have to use two
apps/devices to go through two separate flows to show I'm allowed to do
something.

I agree that a VC-CAP would need a full definition and would only be using
the VC as a transport for the capability. But the ability to combine all of
the elements of the user experience (wallets, storage, protocols, usage)
seems to me to be pretty important.

--

Stephen Curran
Principal, Cloud Compass Computing, Inc. (C3I)

*Schedule a Meeting: **https://calendly.com/swcurran
<https://calendly.com/swcurran>*