Re: VCs - zCaps / OCap a Discussion

David Chadwick, you are completely correct that these are not new, and
that Verifiable Credentials can be used as an authorization system, and
as an authorization system resembles RBAC and ABAC, which are both in
the ACL-style world of identity-based authroization systems.  I agree
that this is possible, and what we get out of layering authorization on
top of an identity-oriented system.

Now the question is, is an RBAC/ABAC/ACL style system *equivalent to*
an ocap/zcap style system?  And I'm going to say: no.  And I'm not the
first one!  This is called "the equivalence myth" in ocap circles,
and has been long documented:

  https://srl.cs.jhu.edu/pubs/SRL2003-02.pdf
  http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/duals/myths.html#equiv-myth

So now that we've established that VCs as an authorization system will
result in ACL/RBAC/ABAC systems, and that such systems are *different*
from ocap/zcap style systems, the question is now a design *choice*.
I have made, at length, my argument for why, understanding this, we want
a clean separation and thus to choose ocaps/zcaps for authority at great
length already in the following post:

  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2020Dec/0028.html

But I appreciate your clear categorization of which authorization-camp
we will end up if we build such authorization on top of VCs.  That helps
make the conversation much easier!