Re: Issuing a credential to a subject that doesn't exist

Hi Liam, here's one approach using DIDs:

1. Generate a new random DID using a method that supports rotatable private key control of DID Document.
2. Issue referral credential with that DID as the subject.
3. Send the referral credential to friend along with private key, even before they install the app.
4. After they install the app and ready to claim the referral credential, they must rotate the DID Document access keys so the original private key is no longer valid to control, but their new key is, which issuer does not know.
5. Friend issues new credential from their existing DID to claim the referral DID as one of theirs.

A few caveats:
- Step 4 could cost a pretty penny depending on what DID method you use
- There's an attack vector where issuer does all sorts of nasty things with referral DID before issuing the credential, and then "friend" claims the new DID as one of theirs.